Old July 19th 05, 05:45 PM
FanJet

http://www.smartcar.com/

>> why isn't this available in the US - Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford,
>> Chrysler, Anyone?

> It's here.
> http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-news/25-int/8693/
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5217861/
>
> Daimler-Chrysler is selling them in Canada, and not the US.
> Independent importers, led by ZAP, will sell them in the US.
>
> High mileage conventional cars have been here before. My daughter
> has a Chevy Metro, 3 cyl, 1100 cc, 5 speed. She gets 40+mpg overall,
> but my Civic Hybrid has more power, more space, A/C, Power Steering
> and Automatic.

The smart car is entirely different. At least the Canadian model. It has
very smart ABS, A/C, a decent heater and all the other things North American
users might want. Certainly not a Metro and, if you're hauling 2 people,
much better and cheaper than a Civic hybrid. BTW, there are plenty of Metros
around with PS, A/C and automatic transmissions.