Old July 22nd 05, 10:55 PM
Earle Horton

Cinnamon is bad on the beginning and end, with three or four switchbacks
each. This is not good for "heavily loaded motorcycles". You might think
about renting a Jeep in Ouray or Silverton. I think that they are going for
a hundred bucks per day or so, and they have Rubicons at the Triangle
Service Station in Silverton. Ask for Bill, tell him you know me, and maybe
you will get a discount.

The train actually leaves from Durango, CO, about a hundred miles south of
Ouray. Working steam engines, narrow gauge track, you can't get much more
historical than that. Wear safety goggles on the train. The coal smoke is
full of cinders, and drifts right into the passenger compartment.

It could be warm, but it could be cool too. It's been over eighty (hot for
us!) in Silverton, but the Channel Nine weather girl says it will cool down
Saturday.

Earle

"RoyJ" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> If you are in the Ouray/Silverton area, be sure to consider one of the
> high passes like Cinnaman, Engineer, etc. These aren't for the faint
> hearted but in late summer they will be dry with some spots that will
> stop a low slung Porche but not sweat with anything else. check with the
> locals.
>
> Paul Calman wrote:
> > I'm going on patrol again, and fishing for interesting stuff to see and

do
> > along the way.
> > Leaving California with 3 other heavily loaded motorcycles and camping

the
> > whole
> > time . We will be heading east on 50, hope to make Lehman Caverns at the
> > Utah border day one, then thru Green River and to Ouray CO, spend a few

days
> > there, ride the train, etc, then up to Cedaredge uphill from Delta for a

few
> > days, then heading back on 50, then 6 thru Helper to SLC, on to Boise,

then
> > either stay on 84 thru the Dalles to Portland, or out 20 or 26 to Bend

and
> > then up 26 to Portland to visit someone, then out to Tillamook and down

the
> > coast all the way to Tomales Bay before heading back home into the

Sierras.
> > I'm interested in geological, historical, technical, or just plain odd

stuff