Old March 29th 05, 06:41 AM
XS11E

"Pat" > wrote in
newsk52e.25401$I16.16623@trndny03:

> A while back, someone answered a question about clutch squeal and
> attributed it to a serpentine belt.
>
> I bought a shop manual and can't find anything about a belt
> associated with the clutch.

I don't know if you're serious or not but I ass-U-me you are so... the
belt in question isn't associated with the clutch, there are belts on
the front of the engine that drive the water pump, alternator, etc.

If these belts are not quite tight enough, they can make a squeal from
time to time, usually when the engine is accelerated rapidly and the
driven item (alternator, AC Compressor, whatever) can't keep up because
the belt is too loose. The belt will then slip on it's pulley's and
make a squealing sound.

Since the engine is often accelerated rapidly when starting out, that's
why someone might think the noise was associated with the clutch and
since sounds seem to travel around in the metal of a car it might very
well sound like it's coming from the clutch rather than the front of
the engine.