Old June 12th 05, 09:27 AM
RV

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 00:31:56 GMT, y_p_w > wrote:

>RV wrote:
>
>> If you need to run plat plugs it is for longer life requirments of the
>> engine ignition maker, if you dont run them copper plugs will wear too
>> quickly sending the ignition out of normal KV working range.

>Sure. GM wanted a 100K mile "tune up". A standard plug should work
>fine but won't last as long. I hate the term "copper plug" since
>copper cores are the same in standard, platinum, or iridium plugs.
>The electrodes are some sort of nickel alloy.

Copper plugs isnt used as an explicit term, more slang for standard
plugs.
Names used generally refer to the plating not the core.
So long as you know what is refered to is all that matters to the
topic..
If you go to the parts store and ask for plat plugs or copper plugs
they wont ask you what core you want and will know what you are
refering to.

>There are some applications where a platinum or iridium plug is
>absolutely necessary. My 1995 Acura Integra spec'ed a 1.3 mm gap
>and my guess is that a standard plug wouldn't last the 30K miles
>that they normal give for regular plugs. The platinum plug was
>spec'ed for 60K miles.

Longer life is the upside, but the downside is easier to contaminate
long before they are "worn"
The GM and the Honda obviously both keep them clean enough to last the
longer period, not all engines will.