Old July 22nd 05, 08:37 PM
R. P.

"TeGGeR®" > wrote:
> No, it's only /sometimes/ in the boiling range. Theoretically, it's
> always
> supposed to be at 194F, the rating of the thermostat.
>
> The combustion chamber runs at about 2,100F, but coolant flow and
> radiator
> function are supposed to be such that the coolant itself does not get
> hot
> enough to actually boil. The pressure imparted by the action of the
> rad cap
> is supposed to retart boiling by holding the system to about 13-15
> lbs.
>
> Modern rad caps don't even hold pressure at all /until/ the fluid
> begins to
> boil, at which point pressure builds rapidly and the cap seals,
> quelling
> the boiling.

Hm, that's interesting and prompts me to ask a relevant question, too.
From what you are saying, it should be very rare that the radiotor fan
should kick in after stopping the engine because according to the specs
that fan should only come up if its sensor detects the coolant to be at
223 F, if I recall correctly. But I noticed that my car's fan kicks in
pretty regularly after I pull into my garage and stop the engine, even
if it was not an especially hot day or hard driving. I'm pretty sure my
thermostat works OK as it was just recently replaced with a new one. Is
this normal behavior from a '94 Accord LX? The car otherwise runs
great. I don't recall though that the original radiator cap was ever
replaced.

JP