Old January 31st 05, 04:32 PM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Ulf wrote:
>
>> How good are headlight washers/wipers at keeping the headlights clean?
>> My winter car, a '86 BMW E30, had wipers until one of the previous
>> owners removed them. The wiper motors and nozzles are still there but
>> not connected (see picture). I've thought about getting wipers and
>> wiper arms and connecting everything as it used to be. However, I'm
>> curious to how useful they actually are. I realize that they're more
>> than a gimmick, but how much more?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ulf
>>
>> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_1192.jpg

> I can certainly tell the difference, especially in this weather (nasty,
> with lots of residual salt on the roads) between headlights that are
> dirty and headlights that have just been cleaned. I do most of my
> driving after dark, so the headlights are always up and they do get
> grimy. I generally go maybe 3-400 miles between gas stops, when they
> get cleaned, and they do get gradually dimmer and the beam pattern less
> distinct as they get dirtier. So I'd say that they probably do work
> well. unfortunately my car does not have the headlamp washers otherwise
> I'd be using the heck out of 'em.

I know what you mean. Even with 100w bulbs I've had times when I thought
I only had the parking lights on... Of course, the question is whether
wipers are able to clean the headlights as good as if you've done it
yourself. Then again, I rarely do it myself so in that case it's better
that it's done badly than not at all.

> nate

Ulf