Old February 26th 05, 07:20 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-02-26, > wrote:

>>You do have to turn the stereo up pretty high to hear it
>>through the earplugs...

> Has anyone tried the active noise cancelling headphones. I
> noticed that Sony's are now a stock item at Walmart at about
> 55. I was thinknig about the Bose but at 300 and bannedby the
> nanny state is certain locales,

So are earplugs (unless you get prescription ones).

I imagine the Sony one's are banned as well.

> I don't know if they are worth it.

The last time I looked at the specs on the cheap "active noise
cancelling" headphones, they were pretty bad. Not much more
than 10dB attennuation over a pretty limited bandwidth. IIRC,
the Bose were less than 20dB.

Ten cent earplugs provide 30dB across the entire audible range,
and aren't nearly as obvious to the "nannies".

Even with earplugs in and stereo cranked, I can still hear the
traffic around me and the outside world in general much better
than I can in my parent's Caddilac with no earplugs, the
windows up, AC on, and the radio on at even a low level.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! These PRESERVES
at should be FORCE-FED to