Old April 8th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Best MPG : 5-speed vs. auto?

SQ wrote:

> Assuming an identical car, let's say a 4-cyl Honda or a Subaru or
> Toyota, which would
> get better MPG -- one with automatic tranny or 5-speed?
>
> I understand that 5 speeds vs. 4 gives a better selection of rpms,
> meaning at the same speed you can cruise with lower rpms, assuming the
> same rear axle ratio.
>
> Also I understand that 5-speeds don't have a torque converter that
> autos have which robbs some power.
>
> But in my experience, in city driving, it's hard to shift well for good
> MPG. Maybe I am shifting at wrong rpms, I am not sure.

Automatics will always have some loss due to the torque convertor.
However, they tend to be equal to sticks because most drivers are not good
shifters.
If you want good mileage, then shift at the lowest rpm possible without lugging
and drive as slow as possible without getting shot.
I don't know you mean about "5-speeds don't have a torque converter".
Are you speaking of automatics, or sticks, or something bizarre like a
convertor-less double clutch automatic?