Old December 8th 04, 12:37 AM
Steve

RPhillips47 wrote:
> "Steve" wrote:
>

>>>But many of us use the easiest option because:
>>>1) We value our time more than to spend it searching locally;

>>What do you DO with that whole hour that's so valuable?

> If YOU only spend one hour searching locally you have spent NO TIME whatsoever
> trying to find a shop that meets all of the criteria you have been advocating.

If you take longer than an hour you don't know how to use the phone. Or
don't know how to ask, "Do you do your own in-house rebuilds on Chrysler
41TE transmissions? Yeah? OK, we all know they had some problems, what
kind of failures do you usually see? Yeah, what's the fix? (wait for
right answers)... Do you see a lot of come-backs? No- OK. What fluid do
you use? ATF+4 OK, thanks, mind if I come by and talk to you about my car?"

Then you go visit the shop, have a look around, talk to the manager and
confirm the phone conversation. The 5th shop I called gave me a lengthy,
detailed description of exactly what upgrades they've found to be the
best, and what assembly procedures give the lowest come-backs. Not a
lentghy process at all. The first 3 said, "No, that transmission is 'too
complicated,' we buy them from the dealer" and got an immediate hang-up
from me. The other one couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what fixes they
apply to the known probems.