Old May 10th 05, 05:49 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

RichA wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:14:39 -0700, Hank > wrote:
>

>>Just a lurker here...
>>
>>In last weeks Arizona Republic newspaper here in Phoenix they ran an
>>article on 20%gasoline/80% grain alchol. It is available in Tucson for
>>$1.83/gallon and runs in about 80% of the vehicles on the road without
>>any changes. It went on to say that it was even cheaper in the midwest
>>where we have an oversupply of grain and it is produced locally.
>>
>>I have not seen much else on this. Too bad. That would cut back our
>>reliance on foreign oil.
>>
>>hank

> Before anyone gets too excited about this (how long have we had
> stuff about corn-based alcohol for fuel thrown at us?) why not
> find out what it would take to replace even 10% of the U.S. oil
> usage by this method?
> -Rich

I wouldn't necessarily say this route would be desirable. It we rely on
grain to make alcohol it could raise the price of numerous foods like
bread, meat etc. All we might do is spend less on gasoline and more on
food. It could also raise the price to feed poor and undeveloped
countries. If this happens then we haven't accomplished much for our
efforts.