Old March 20th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E34 front damper

Dan Buchan wrote:
> Anyone replaced a front damper on an E34? (1991 525i M50.) How difficult
> was it?

Been there, done that. It is not an easy job. Requires some special
tools. First off you will need some stout sockets and breaker bar to
get the strut off the wheel hub carrier. Then you need a set of spring
compressors for the struts. I then used a large stilson (pipe) wrench
to remove the big nut on the top of the strut housing to get the dampers
out of the housings. I got new nuts with the new dampers anyway. You
will need a torque wrench for reassembly.

I think I did the fronts and also the backs all in one long Saturday
session, but I was taking my time, especially with the spring compressor.

> Euro Car Parts have a Bilstein for £42 and a Boge/Sachs for £52. Any
> preferences? I think Boge was OEM. The part is £105 from BMW and they
> couldn't tell me who made it.

I put Bilstein Tourings in my E34. They were great and I recommend them
highly. You are correct, Boge/Sachs was OEM. Get the Bilsteins. You
won't regret it...

--
-Fred W