Old July 22nd 05, 03:10 PM
YouGoFirst

> Overheating In Traffic (Stop and Go, Low Speed Driving)
> Overheating in traffic and low speed driving has one common cause: the
> fan. During stop and go, low speed "creeping" and low speed driving, there
> is not sufficient flow of air through the radiator. Therefore, the engine
> has a fan to draw air through the front of the car. This fan operates off
> of a viscous fan clutch. Basically, the fan clutch is mounted between the
> fan and the engine. As cold air flows over it, the clutch loosens up,
> allowing the fan to freewheel on the shaft of the engine. The fan then
> hardly turns. As the air flowing over the clutch heats up (as the engine
> transfers more heat to the radiator) the clutch tightens up, spinning the
> fan faster and drawing more air through the radiator. The cycle continues
> as long as the car is running. Over time, this fan clutch can wear out,
> causing the fan to freewheel whether it is hot or cold. This causes
> reduced airflow through the radiator, and therefore high operating
> temperatures during low speed driving. This theory is easy to test,
> because once you get on the highway the car will cool right down.
> Testing the fan clutch is pretty easy. Simply start the car and allow it
> to warm up to normal operating temperature. Shut it off, then give the fan
> a good flick with your hand. If it rotates more than about 1.5 turns, then
> odds are the fan clutch is worn. However, I have found this test to be a
> very bad indicator of the true condition of the clutch. A much better test
> is to simply pick another one up and swap it on. If this solves your
> problem, then the fan clutch was obviously the culprit.

I took it in to the place where I had the fan clutch replaced, and the owner
said that he has owned several Jeep Grand Cherokees, and that they all run
hot. He said that as long as I am not getting above the 235 mark I should
be ok. Is there anybody out there who has owned a 1993 V8 Jeep Grand
Cherokee that can confirm that it can get that hot when running the AC while
it is 100 degrees outside?