Old July 4th 05, 08:26 PM
Earle Horton

I didn't invent perpetual motion. Newton did. The wheel would keep
spinning forever, except for friction from the bearings, road and air. What
keeps the Earth spinning? What happened to Stephen Cowell, anyway?
I think that we need his expert opinion here.

Earle

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Perpetual motion, was the word I was looking for to explain your
> never ending spinning wheel. All though with a little help you may make
> a gyroscope run forever
>
> "L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Earle,
> > Yes, I know that's why I wrote the definition of C squared as the
> > speed of light.
> > Lance, will happy to know you have the secret of spontaneous energy
> > in that your wheel will never stop spinning. Size means nothing to you,
> > if you had a big enough lever you could move the earth. Where the rest
> > of us have to deal with centrifugal, kinetic, and inertia.
> > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> > http://www.billhughes.com/
> >
> > Earle Horton wrote:
> > >
> > > Bill,
> > >
> > > E=mc² is not a formula from classical mechanics, which is what you are
> > > talking about here. The energy to get a wheel, or any other object,
> > > spinning depends on its "inertial mass", which is usually called

"moment of
> > > inertia", and the effective radius. Calculus gives the formula E=1/2

IR²,
> > > which is similar to the formula for a moving object, E=1/2 mv², where

m is
> > > the mass of the object and v is the velocity.
> > >
> > > Now, once you get an object moving or spinning, there is NO energy

required
> > > to keep it doing that, unless there are losses. In a vehicle, losses

are
> > > friction, air resistance, and that hundred pound girlfriend's credit

card
> > > usage. The wheels on Lance's bike have to be light because of the

need to
> > > accelerate, decelerate, and turn. Big heavy mountain bike wheels

would slow
> > > him down, but not for the reasons you state.
> > >
> > > Earle

your

The E

of