Old February 1st 05, 11:49 PM
Nate Nagel

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

> "Steve B." wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:32:41 -0500, "sdlomi2" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>> Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
>>>stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off. But!
>>>When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at least
>>>that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
>>> Ideas, please? Thank you, s
>>>

>>Have you checked the retained power line to make sure that it still
>>has power when the starter is engaged? If it doesn't have power even
>>for a couple seconds your radio will loose its settings.
>>
>> Steve B.

> This is what I was thinking. Maintaining memory settings were no that
> big an issue back in '55, so a hard line to the battery might be hard to
> come by.

Not at all, just pick it off the back of the ammeter or the "battery"
post on the ignition switch. Both are ring terminals with nuts.

> Its best to run a dedicated wire from the battery (+), with an in-line
> fuse near the battery to the radio 'battery' input. If the radio is
> supposedly already connected to a hot point, the radio dropping out
> might be a symptom of a dirty, weak or loose connection, or a charging
> system problem.

yes, an inline fuse is a must, as the wire to the ammeter is *not*
fused. Also would be an excellent idea to put some fusible links or
high-amp fuses inline up at the starter solenoid. Nothing sucks worse
than a Stude with a crispy wiring harness... um, or so I've heard. (did
I post about the last car show I went to...?)

nate

PS - sdlomi, if you haven't already, come on over to
alt.autos.studebaker for the more Stude-specific questions you will
undoubtedly have. Also check out my cheezy, suck-ass web site (see
..sig) to get you started towards some better Stude-related sites
(stude.com and the forums at SDC are good, also Bob J's page and... well
there's lots of them, really.)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel