Old June 13th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Police crush sunbather

In article . com>,
Harry K > wrote:

>Mike T. wrote:
>>
>> Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
>> PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

>You do understand our system of justice? Innocent until proven guilty?
> Yes they are put on paid leave until the investigation etc is over and
>then the penalty of whatever is applied. I guess you want everyone to
>be penalized at the instant of being accused of something eh?

That's how the system works for the rest of us.

A civilian in the same situation would be arrested on suspicion
of homicide and leaving the scene of a fatal accident. He would
lose his job. He would lose his driver's license. He would be
liable for $5K to $50K in lawyer's fees. If he was lucky he
would have enough money left to make bail. He would be out on
probation -- not a free man -- for six months or a year until
trial. The dead woman's family's lawyers would have filed a
multimillion dollar lawsuit and put a lien on his house. And
none of this depends on his guilt. If he wins at both trials,
he still goes through all of this.

Suspension without pay is much better treatment than civilians get.

--
John Carr )