Old June 29th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default If Only He'd Taken The Lane

In article .com>, Larry Bud wrote:

> Brent P wrote:
>> In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> > http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/135749

>> Note the article had to include:
>> "He was wearing a helmet" Of course he is still "seriously hurt".

> Why shouldn't they mention it? The writer isn't making a judgement,
> they are stating facts of the wreck.

It's the usual pro-nanny state crap.

>> He may have had his 'head down', however did passing traffic keep him
>> from getting around the trailer?

> What's the difference? Are you going to blame legally driven autos for
> something yet another dimwit did on a bicycle?

Dimwits in automobiles rutinely expect bicyclists to dive in and out of
parked vehicles on the road side. He should have been riding further to
left when parking is legal on the road and have been well to the left a
few hundred feet before the trailer. However, motorists will act to 'pin'
down a bicyclist on a path that is blocked by another motor vehicle.

I have had drivers intentionally try to force me into parked vehicles on
a number of occasions when I was younger and not as experienced. They
would do this by coming very close to me just before I reach the
parked vehicle intending to force me into going to the right to avoid a
collision with them but then having the parked vehicle directly in front
of me. Imagine they are either entirely ignorant or think it's funny.
Now when I see a parked vehicle ahead I move left gradually starting a
good distance before hand. By the time I reach the parked vehicle I am
outside the door zone.

This crash could have easily been the result of an inexperienced
bicyclist (in traffic) and motorists who pinned him in, or even
intentionally blocked his move to the left by accelerating. I would
expect the bicyclist went into the drop position and accelerated to
merge left but then had a driver accelerate to block, forcing him to
abort but being too late to stop. A dimwit POB riding slowly with his
head down would not have in anyway been seriously hurt, thusly this was
rider in the drop position going full out or at least at significant speed.