Old October 12th 04, 04:10 AM
Roger Brown

Will wrote:

> > Reliability with the 4cyl engine is good> --

> How is the V6? And what kind of reliability should I expect if I'm spending
> less than $2000? I bought my sammy w/ about 100k miles; no trouble for 2
> years but a clutch cable, ignition coil, and a mudd-filled starter (oops),
> and all that was for $1100, mostly because samurais started off cheap and
> are ugly and have 60 hp. Can I find a 4Runner that cheap that isn't a piece
> of crap? Thanks.

If you keep the head gaskets intact, it is fine. With good gears, the
22RE engine is fine, around 110-120 HP and with 200:1 gearing, it'll go
most anywhere and still get reasonable gas mileage on- and off-road.

> -Will
>
> ps- I liked your website and your 4Runner- it made me think of a few
> questions. Is it a lot harder/more expensive to lift one without a solid
> front axle?

Depends on how high, for 33" tires, its easier to fit on an IFS truck:
http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10

> And a general question- a Samurai weighs just over 2000 lbs,
> while your 4Runner was over 4000. How is that going to effect traction, dry
> and in mud, with comparable tires on both vehicles?

All depends, traction is partly friction, coef. of friction times the
normal force, more weight=more force=more traction. On soft terrain,
traction is also dependent on strength of the surface like mud and
snow. Generally you would want a little larger tire ona larger
vehicle, a 31x10.50 works well on a Sami, something like a 33x12.50 or
35.12.50 works well on a 4Runner. Sure, lighter is better for a
dedicated rock buggy, but I built my truck more for expedition type
trips. I drive it out, do the trail and drive it home. I can drive it
5000 or more miles on a given trip and carry all the spares and tools I
need to repair in the most remote coutry. Most recent trip I broke a
shock mount at nearly 10000' in the Wasatch Mtns. in UT, 10 miles from
pavement and 40 miles from the nearest town and was able to weld it back
with on-board welder and spare steel I carry.

So I am not so concenred with weight; bumpers, winch, rock sliders are
all heavy but they serve a purpose. Dual batteries are heavy but having
a backup is very handy, etc.

--
Roger