Old October 12th 04, 02:14 AM
Roger Brown

Will wrote:

> I've got an '87 samurai thats pretty much stock except for a 2 in . shackle
> lift. It's great off-road, even in pretty nasty stuff, and its pretty
> reliable, but it stinks on the highway (I hit 80 mph ONCE on a really long
> downhill with the petal to the floor; I usually have to be content with
> going 60 while truckers fly by at 80, threatening to suck me into their
> draft and throw me across the median. ), doesn't have much room for gear,
> and can't tow anything. So I'm looking at trading it for something like a
> late 80's 4Runner. I don't know anyone that takes one offroad, so what am I
> looking at compared to a Samurai, stock vs. stock? Is there much less ground
> clearance with the longer wheel-base? Is it geared as well as the samurai
> for off-road use? Reliability? I am looking for something cheap (less than
> $2000), so would I just be better off keeping the Sammy? I'm sure ya'll get
> annoying questions like this all the time, but I didn't really know where
> else to get decent info (of course every 4Runner website will say its the
> best off road vehicle ever, and every Sammy website will try to tell you its
> the best thing since sliced bread). Thanks.
>
> -Will

I take mine off-road a lot, the '85 4Runner has a solid front axle
(later models had IFS), fuel injection and removeable hard top:
http://www.4crawler.com/4Runner.shtml

Longer wheel base is nice been on a few trails with Samis that rolled or
came close to it on steep hills. I like the room, you can haul enough
gear for a 2 week trip with ease. Ground clearance is adequate, it can
be improved. Reliability with the 4cyl engine is good, lots of off-road
accessories you can get, gears, lockers, springs, etc.

--
Roger