Old March 8th 05, 02:29 AM
DougW

Serg did pass the time by typing:
> hey guys-so my cousin runs over a wheel/tire that some jackass drops on the
> freeway. going about 80 mph, he hits it and flattens both left side tires.
> got towed to Pep boys (closest place) and gets told he need to change all 4
> tires because he has a 4wd car and only changing 2 could damage his
> drivetrain. what do u think about this?
>
> i say BS. shouldn't the differentials handle the slightly different tire
> sizes ok (new vs old) and in the snow, the tire slipping on the snow would
> take care of that too right? he's in colorado (boulder) so snow is a
> concern.
>
> they are trying to sell him a pep boy-brand tire or something else that
> costs a whole lot more ($95 pepboy tire vs $150 other brand (can't remember
> which). no, they don't carry bfg's

All four tires need to be close or bad things can happen. It is more
critical on axles that have limited slip and on the front axle because
having two different sized wheels contributes to deathwobble.

Generally it's not a good idea to run different size tires on a 4wd vehicle.

Having the same size front to back is only important if you have
4wd (ft or pt) and can't run 2w.

SchlepBoys can install other vendors tires.

--
DougW