Old December 8th 04, 04:11 AM
Hal

" At idle it makes a racket
that sounds sort of like a bunch of crickets. It dies down when I rev
the
engine a bit."

A quick way to check the belt is to spray it with a bit of carb or
brake cleaner while the engine is running. If the squeak goes away then
it means the belt is slipping. I have had this problem in the past when
I degrease the engine, it seems that the degreaser causes the belt to
get glazed and start to slip a little even though the tension is fine.
One quick fix is to take a bit of wheel bearing grease and work it into
the sides of the belt over a section an inch or two long and then start
the engine. It should make the sound go away.

If that doesn't help, try grabbing the fanshroud and push/pull slightly
with the engine running. If the sound gets louder or goes away it means
the fan is rubbing. You can usually loosen the alternator clamp and
pull/push it and then tighten the clamp to remedy this. Another
possibility is a bad bearing in the alternator itself, however if it's
only a year old I would say that's probably not the source of your
noise.

Good luck.

Chris