Old August 15th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Default 71 VW Bug Autostick Problems

Noice87 wrote:

> I had some work done on my car before I left for MO for the summer.
> Car was running but my dad only started it once. To start it I turn
> key and then pess a button. When I turn the key orange lights come on
> for G "I am guessing Gas" and Oil Pressing the button does nothing. I
> thought it was the battery before I tried to start it but battery is
> hooked up.
>
> Thanks Steven

Yes, there *was* a Neutral Safety switch. Yours may have been bypassed.

That said, try this:
Get under the car (Shift in NEUTRAL!!) Wear glasses.
Jumper the starter solenoid as shown he
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/starter4.gif

If the engine now cranks, you know the starter/battery are OK
and it is a wiring/switch problem.

Note: If you leave the Ignition switch ON, the engine can be
started with this jumper.

--------------------------
Plz, get a manual that covers that car.
Like these items on eBay:
330017799319
220015402193
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_W0Q...ngCategoryList

That manual has an excellent section on the AutoStick as well as
everything else.

Bookmark my web site for elec info.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/