Old October 27th 04, 03:21 PM
dave

>From: ronh
>
>I am concerned about the amount of wheel noise coming from my 91 passat
>wagon. What are the symptoms of wheel bearing failure?
>
>If the bearing are gone I would like to replace them soon before it gets
>too cold.
>

>Ron Hoppe
>Ottawa, Canada

AFAIK
They make a roaring/rumbling sound while the vehicle is in motion and usually
sounds louder the faster you go.

Front wheel bearings can be isolated by turning left or right while you are
driving and you hear the noise. If you turn left and the noise
disappears/lessens then it is the left front wheel bearing. Same applies if
you turn right = right front wheel bearing. I have seen both bad sometimes so
the noise never left. lol

Rears can be determined if you lift up the vehicle and spin the wheel. You may
have to remove brake pads to eliminate that as a source of the noise.

Tires and the transmission can make noise too!

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris