Old October 27th 04, 01:56 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, ronh wrote:

>I am concerned about the amount of wheel noise coming from my 91 passat
>wagon. What are the symptoms of wheel bearing failure?

For me it sounded like I was driving with really rough tread snow
tires. It occurred right after getting tires changed form me.
Aluminum wheels were hard to remove from the hubs. Rather than using
a wheel puller, the tire installer used pry bar and hammer.

>If the bearing are gone I would like to replace them soon before it gets
>too cold.

Can you trace the sound to one or more wheels? Rear would be easier
than the front.