Old September 8th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_112_]

Default ac compressor pulley going bad

Wrote:
> lets see. 95 GMC vandura 3500 w/ 454 engine. problem: i think my air
> conditioner compressor pulley bearing is going bad. its making a fairly
> loud metallic whirring noise with the engine running and feels like its
> not lubricated when i spin it by hand altho it spins freely.
> i saw a exploded view of a compressor unit that had a nut holding
> the clutch hub on. mine doesnt have a nut, but i do see a "key" in
> there.
> i have a few questions i'd really appreciate the answers to:
> (1) can i pull the hub off with a gear puller? is that how its
> designed, just pressed on or should there be a nut there and its
> missing?
>
> (2) are there any internet sites where i might find an exploded view
> of my air conditioning compressor?
>
> (3) i'm not averse to just pulling the entire compressor assembly out
> and replacing it with a "dummy" pulley. sorry, i dont know the proper
> name. i assume such an item is available. is a dummy pulley a standard
> item i can find at autoparts stores? i dont think i'm ready to try
> to replace the compressor at this time. i need to be on the road soon
> and will have more time later.
>
> btw, i'm rather surprised "they" design a car that cant opperate just
> because an air conditioning part broke.
>
> i hope i get some replies. thanks. (and i apologize for the fake name).
> john

It not an option to just skip the A/C pulley with a shorter belt?

I think you have to remove a seal and evacuate the system to replace
that bearing. And you'll need a GM A/C clutch tool, if it's like I'm
thinking.

If nothing else, throw a junkyard compressor ($30?) on it and go.
That's what I paid for the last radial R134 compressor I bought
salvage, off a '96 Sonoma...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: