Old August 4th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default 65 bug converted to 12 volt problems

john wrote:
> Anyone else having my problems? I converted my 65 bug to 12 volt years
> ago and left the 6 volt starter in. About 7 years ago, I had to have my
> flywheel replaced because the 6 volt starter had worn down the flywheel
> teeth and it wouldn't always catch.
> Now it's doing the same thing again. The starter doesn't engage the
> flywheel the first time, often taking about 6-12 times before it
> finally does.
> What is the simpliest cure? Replace the flywheel again? Replacing the 6
> volt starter with a 12 volt starter seems like a lot of work plus you
> have to replace the starter too.
> Any ideas?

Simplest cure, push start it.
Replace the 6v, 180mm clutch flywheel with a 12volt 200mm clutch
flywheel. Replace the starter with one out of a 1969 Beetle, Autostick,
it's self supporting and doesn't require a bushing in the trans. You'll
have to change the clutch itself too. The transmission bellhousing will
need to be clearanced for the flywheel to fit.