Old March 30th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default long wait in traffic court

pegleg wrote:

> I hit enter too quickly ... I meant to say that this is my first ticket
> in more than 8 years ... so, just wanted to get an idea if this kind of
> wait is normal now.

There's a limited time period where the state must bring the case to
trial and render the verdict. In WV, it's one year and in VA it's 9
months. You'll have to look through NY state law and court rules to
find out for sure.

If that time period has elapsed, then the case should be dismissed if it
ever comes to trial. I suppose you could file a written motion and mail
it to the court to get this over with, but I don't know if that's
possible in NY.

But this only applies if you've never asked for a continuance or if you
haven't waived your right to a speedy trial.

You might also want to consider reposting this to misc.legal.