Old March 2nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers?

In article >,
Timothy J. Lee > wrote:
>In article >,
>Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>>For the
>>most part, however, these studies reaffirm what I've been saying all
>>along: teenaged drivers, as a group, often don't have the good
>>judgement to safely operate a 2-ton death machine.

>How different is the risk taking and cell phone using behavior
>for teenage drivers versus drivers in general? Or knowing someone
>you would be afraid to ride with due to dangerous driving?

The study was done without a control group or sample, which of course
makes it unable to answer that question.

It's just a (probably IIHS-funded) push for graduated licensing, which
has previously been justified based on scary figures like "40% of
teen accidents happen in between 9pm and 6am" (said figure being 38%
of the day...) and based on a "decrease" in fatal crashes from 299 to
301 after graduated licensing was instituted.

Insurance companies like graduated licensing because by allowing teens
to drive less, it reduces the company's exposure, but by keeping those
teens on the books as licensed drivers, they still get the same high
premiums. They'd do it to adults if they could get away with it.

result in a fully-depreciated one.