Old July 22nd 05, 09:25 PM
pws

XS11E wrote:

> No, I sure don't. First, replacing the timing belt w/o replacing the water
> pump is false economy just like not replacing the valve cover gasket, cam
> seals and crank seal. The additional cost is very small compared to what it
> will cost if any of these parts fail later, don't ask me how I know that....
>
> Second, the OP said his engine was replaced at 108,000 miles, that's a lot
> more miles than the scheduled timing belt replacement and as proven by the
> OP, not replacing the water pump at that time was a mistake.

I agree. FWIW, which isn't much, I am now dealing with a broken 1991
miata with over 120K miles. It never had the timing belt or the water
pump replaced. The water pump is now spewing coolant like a geyser, but
the belt never did have a problem.
I guess I could replace the water pump and re-use the timing belt, after
all, it is only 15 years old. ;-)

I still haven't seen a timing belt break before 100K on a miata. For
peace of mind, I consider 80K a good time to change the belt. At that
point, I wouldn't even consider putting a water pump with 80K miles back
on when they are so relatively inexpensive.

Pat