Old July 14th 05, 10:14 PM
blah blah

In article >,
says...
> The regulations here in Canada stipulate the required brightness for DRLs.
> Either the Turn Signal lamps (brighter than Park Lamps) or 75% to 92%
> (typically 80%) of High Beams are typically used by makers, presumably
> whichever is easier to configure to the specs. Chrysler seems to like the
> Turn Signal approach, GM as you noted is a bit of a mix.

C5's and Firebirds didnt have a choice. Generally the DRL's, if routed
through the headlights, only work at 40% of their brightness.

My biggest problem with DRL's is that you cannot flash your lights at
oncoming cars to warn them of a speed trap ahead of them. You cannot
flash your lights at someone looking for a spot to merge. You cannot
flash your lights at some slow poke thats not passing anyone in the
passing lane.

But what about those people who never turn their lights on in the rain?
What about those people who drive at night and forget to turn on their
lights? Those things seem worse since the dawn of DRL's. I see peoples
headlights on but not a single tail light is lit. I see people coming in
a downpoor with DRL's but I cant see the person infront of me until they
hit their brakes. How has DRL's helped in those area's? My father kept
driving home at night with only his DRL's on only because he thought his
lights were on. Gee yeah what a great idea DRL's have been...

My car is equiped with twilight sentinel so even if I did forget to
flip on my headlights my car would do it for me. Nothing beats a smart
twilight sentinel. You can see my tail lights in a downpoor. Thats
something you wont see with DRL's. Of course not all "twilight
sentinel" systems are the same. Chrysler makes a rather stupid lighting
system. The second its dark the lights are on, the second its light the
lights are off. No delay in the system so its on and off on and off.
Cheap cheap cheap.