Old March 15th 05, 08:55 PM
Bob Shuman

Update: I removed the torque axis mount and it looked like the rubber had
shrunk pretty badly so I went to the local dealer and bought a replacement
($73). it seemed much stiffer, so I was hopeful that it would resolve the
clunking.

Unfortunately, the replacement made little difference, although the engine
does not move as much anymore. But, the loud "clunk" when shifting is still
there and sounds like it is getting worse. The clunk is heard worst when
shifting between park and reverse, and then less noticeable, but still bad
between neutral and drive. I did not hear much going from drive to 3rd and
then 2nd, although there seemed to be a faint "buzzing" in 2nd while still
at a stop. When I take it out of the garage for a spin, the clunk is bad on
every shift and downshift too, but they appear to happen at the right
RPM/speed. When it is in a single gear, like 2nd, it drives perfectly and
sounds fine. It is only when it up and down shifts that it sounds like it
is getting torn apart and the shift is extremely harsh. .

Can someone who has had the auto trans "valve body" problem please describe
the symptoms and approximate cost of the part & difficulty of the repair?
Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Bob

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> 1996 Saturn SL1. 125K miles. Has been a good car. Current problem when
> shifting from Park into either forward or reverse. Engine moves violently
> and loud clunk heard. Also experience the same loud noise when driving

and