Old February 5th 05, 08:05 PM
Jim Warman

Probably guilty as "charged"..... I'm not used to calling assemblies in this
kind of short form and took "charger" as someone forgetting what an
alternator is rather than supercharger ( a term more easily understood).

What's in a name??? Who knows what a gudgeon pin is... or a front wing....
or a demister...

You guys are just like everyone at work.... "let's pick on the old fart"....
(just kidding 8^)

As I recall, the supercharger (yes, supercharger) is underdriven to start
with. Think of it this way... A normally aspirated motor of (just for
argument) 300 cubic inches, thinks it's a 300 cubic inch motor.... at 7
pounds of boost, it thinks it's a 450 cubic inch motor and at 14.7 pounds of
boost it thinks it's a 600 cubic inch motor. Of course this doesn't take
into account atmospheric pressure variations, intake air temp or pumping
losses...

"Mark C." > wrote in message
> Yea Jim. Can't you read?
>
> --
> Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)
>
> I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
>

> "Jafo" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Akshully Jim, I'm pretty sure he meant the upper blower pulley on the

S/C.
> > Which by itself has added gobs of power.
> >
> > --
> > Jafo
> > '02 GT Black
> > Not eggzackly stock.
> >
> > "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> >> Here we go again... Underdrive pulleys free up a very small amount of
> >> power... where they shine is in cars that are subject to continuous

high
> > rpm
> >> operation. They can reduce the chance of winding separation in the
> >> altermator as well as reducing cavitation in the waterpump. For a daily
> >> driver subject to leng periods of normal to low rpm operation, you can
> >> expect poor charging system operation, possible overheating and even

> > reduced
> >> power steering assist at low speeds. Any serious horsepower gains will

be
> >> more placebo effect than actual........ please don't trot out the dyno

> > tests
> >> that show a whopping 2 horsepower gain. In a street car this is pretty

> > much
> >> negligable, especially in light of the downsides.
> >>
> >> Ahhh, I can get a bigger alternator that will offset the reduced

rpm.....
> >> and the bigger alternator will chew up the appropriate amount of

> > horsepower
> >> to maintain charging system efficiency..... can you say "Back to square
> >> one??"
> >>
> >> It's not difficult to apply logic to the "don't buy" side of the
> >> equation..... with you young'uns, the glitter of billet aluminum far
> >> outweighs any sensible decisions.

> >> oups.com...

how