Old June 13th 05, 05:11 PM
Jim Yanik

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in
:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/ignit...ion/index.html

>>> Hopefully this is correct now.
>>>
>>> Thanks to all for their help, especially Jim Yanik.
>>>
>>> --
>>> TeGGeR®
>>>
>>> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
>>> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
>>> --------------------------------------
>>> I think in the 1990 Honda Civic, the igniter also provides
>>> for for some PWM control.

> "PWM" control?

Pulse Width Modulation.

>> It senses the back EMF and
>>> kills the coil drive at the correct momment to insure a
>>> hot spark.

> Do you know the mechanism by which it sees the back EMF?
>

>>> I played with an ignitor and couldn't get it
>>> to because correctly until I connected to to a Honda
>>> igntion coil. As I varied the frequency of the drive pulses,
>>> all the same width, the output created wider pulse at higher
>>> "RPM".

I suspect the IC inside the igniter controls coil current,by means of
varying the pulse width(that PWM).
I haven't looked for any IC app notes to see exactly what they're
doing,though.If anyone has a URL for an app note for these Ics,I'll go
look.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik