Old February 25th 05, 06:46 PM
Scott Hughes

wrote in
:

> Lest see: - The Movahe prety much sucks, Meander North to Vegas
> Take the Hoover Dam tour. Narly curvy roads round lake mead.
>
> On to the Grand Canyon - a religious experience. Then pick amongst
>
> Momunemt Valley, The Painted Desert, See the Pueblo/ Anastasy ruins.
>
> Choose El Paso and a quick run to San Antone, stop at Tombstone, or
> Langry (pretty godforsaken) and Remember the Alamo in San Antone.
> (Ybut you will go through the Sonoran Desert and will hit West Texas
> when the spring flowers are out.)
>
> Or stay on 1-20 and move to I-10 accross the Texas back state roads
> thought the panhandle onto the Texas Hill country. Time it to see the
> Blue Bonnets and truly gorgeous country. That gets you down to
> Housnton. Great Tex Mex - Papasitos, Great Stakes - A Taste of Texas
> off I-10.
>
> In Houston,detour to San Jacinto, where Sam Houston routed the Mexican
> Army and created the Republic, and haul accross the Sabine. Lunch in
> Lafayette (some good Cajun Cuisine). Cross the Atchafalaya onto Baton
> Rouge, or go down I-90 to Morgan City past the sugar cane fields and
> enter New Orleans from the Houma side. A beautiful ride that takes
> you on the edge of the Delta - you must have some cajun music to play
> along the way, I guarantee!.
>
> Hurricane at Pat O'Briens, dinner at Commander's Palace (reservations
> strongly recommended) Or Chez Paul, wander the quarter for the evening
> and cest le bons temps roulez.
>
> On to Biloxi and Mobile cross the bay and you are in Florida. haul
> all the way to Jacksonville its a long binrg drive.
>
> It's a beautiful contry and you only live once or put the car in the
> trailer and regret it.
>
> - 2004 Titanium Mazdaspeed.

SD, CA to Datona Beach, FL : ~2500mi / 36hr (MS Mappoint estimate)

Following the "scenic" route: ~3125mi / 56hr (Mappoint estimate)

Unfortunately, since the OP didn't specify wether he had the option to
take some extra time to enjoy the trip, the discussion has digressed into
arguing about wether that's feasable. I think the point is, if you have
to get to point B in 48hrs, shipping is probably your best option. Otoh,
IF YOU HAVE TIME, take it, enjoy it.

Adding just an extra 600mi, this sounds like a pretty colorfull road-
trip. Of course, the gap between the Painted Desert and Houston is
1300mi (roughly 22hrs). Probably would need another point of interest
for that section. One option would be Carlsbad Caverns (adding another ~
100mi), otherwise, I'm sure there's something worth looking at going thru
Albuquerque and Amarillo on your way to Dallas, where you could tour
Kennedy assasination tourist stuff. The other long stretch along the FL
panhandle could be prettied up a bit by detouring on HWY 98 to run along
the Gulf coast for a bit.

-Scott
-94 Black
(and drooling over a friends 04 Ti MS)