Old May 19th 05, 02:54 AM
Daniel Morrow

"Elaine T" wrote in message
.. .
Ack! I have 2 bettas in a divided 2.5 gal tank with a Nano Filter. I
woke up this morning and both bettas' fins are in tatters. I'm talking
total, heartbreaking shreds. Both were in perfect shape last night. I
immediately tested the water, expecting to see ammonia but it was 0/0/5
ammonia/nitrite/nitrate as usual. I changed 60% of the water and added
extra AmQuel anyway. The tank has been cycled and stable for about 3
months and gets weekly 50% water changes. It also has a lot of java
moss that would tend to soak up an ammonia spike.

I also cleaned the filter, which gets some sunlight, and the inside was
coated with blue-green algae. I've heard of toxic cyanobacteria and was
wondering whether cyanobacteria toxins can cause fin problems and
nothing else? I'm grasping at straws.

Or did one of my bettas jump the 2 cm of divider that's not covered by
glass, neatly dodging the filter intake, fight his tankmate, and jump
back?!? There is no other way around or through the divider. A fight
fits the best but seems improbable. Both fish are eating, behaving
pretty normally, and nobody's talking.

What do you all think and does anyone have experience healing bettas'
fins after a fight? I always use very clean water and more frequent
feedings for fin damage, but I've never seen betta fins this badly
damaged. Are there any other betta specific tips or tricks?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

That happened to my male betta once and the only other fish in with it was a
female betta. It seemed to happen overnight and there was practically no
fins left. I chalked it up to the female attacking him in the dark and he
seemed relatively unaffected by it despite the fin damage. I did absolutely
nothing and he healed so well I couldn't notice any sign of it ever
happening. The only worry I would have if I were you elaine is if you were
going to enter your bettas in a show that judges on the quality of the fins,
and after they heal you still might not have any problem. But if you want to
treat the wounds just in case I don't see any reason why you couldn't as
long as it isn't too extreme and risky. Do you have a gravel substrate in
the tank? If you do I am beginning to wonder about yours and mine
experiences as caused by male bettas dragging their tales in the dark on
some gravel? Just an idea as it's important to find out the root cause of
the problem to try and prevent it from ever happening again. Good luck and
keep your cool, later Dan!