Old November 14th 04, 08:33 PM
Peter Mac

Default 156 knocking when clutch dropped

Hello all

I have a 1998 156 1.8 TS, currently with 78000 on the clock. After
driving along a fairly bumpy road this evening, a knocking sound
started coming from the front end.

The knocking only occurs when the car is moving. It happens when I
drop the clutch, and also when I'm NOT accelerating. (i.e. when I'm
changing gear it starts, but when I then start to accelerate, it goes
away.) It tends to start again when I take my foot off the
accelerator.

In addition, the rate of knocking corresponds with the speed of the
car. The faster we're going, the faster the knocking.

It is fairly loud inside the car, but apparently not audible from
outside. (I got my wife to stand on the pavement while I drove past!
I heard the knocks fine - she heard nothing.)

Of course, the bumpy road may have had nothing to do with it. Though
it seems just a little coincidental.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas as to what is the most likely
cause? Suspension/roll bar bushes, engine mounts?