Old January 24th 05, 06:48 AM
Jim Warman

If you have the auto hubs and they are working correctly, driveshaft
rotation will be limited by the action of the front hubs. The hubs engage
when the axle is turning faster than the wheel - direction matters not.....
If the front wheels are stationary and you turn the front driveshaft, the
hubs will engage and give the impression that the t-case hasn't disengaged.

Conversely, we can rotate the wheel freely either way.. again, direction
doesn't matter since the wheel is spinning faster than the stationary shaft.
The concept may be difficult for some to grasp but it does work....

If you disassemble your t-case shift motor (or better, a donor we can screw
up on), you'll notice three or four (CRS disease) brass arcs on a board. The
4WD module understands the position of the shift forks from the
juxtaposition of these arcs - some are making contact and some aren't. The
principal is quite simple though it appears complicated without a real good
stare and some concentration.

lkaboutautos.com...