Old January 23rd 05, 02:14 AM
Professor3700

Default 92 Explorer transfer case neutral option??

Have a 92 Explorer with the electric shift. Obviously there is no Ford
provided selectable neutral so I can disengage both drive shafts for
towing behind an RV. I know there is a dealer option for the '96 and
newer transfer cases that does allow disengagement of both drive shafts.

I expected that when I removed the electric motor and moved the shift
shaft by hand, I would find a neutral position - but I did not. Truly
surprises me.

Do the manual shift 92's have a neutral position on the shift lever or
does this transfer case model simply not have am idle position between 4H
and 4L. If it does, cool, I should be able to find same on mine. If not,
then the question becomes:

Is the 96 BW transfer case bolt-on identical to the earlier ones. If so,
this will completely solve my problem because I can certainly build an
electronic module that allows access to the neutral position.

Thanks for taking the time

p.s. I'm very familiar with the drive shaft disconnect schemes - don't
even go there - not a viable option in my view at all.