Old February 27th 05, 07:22 AM
Axel Hammer

"Nathan W. Collier" schrieb:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Do you know if the winch will destroy your power steering pump? Or is
> > this no issue>

> ive never known a pump to fail from adding a winch. the energy is there
> anyway, the winch just takes advantage of it.

Prolonged winching heats up the oil very rapidly since P/S pumps have almost
no reservoir that may act as 'thermal buffer'.
Real PTO hydraulics have at least 10 to 20l of hydraulic fluid that can
buffer the heat and the tank may act as radiator as well.

Dunno what the military's up to, but they won't work their winches long -
and if they fail, who cares. I suggest to check out military strategies
regarding the effective lifetime in battle when talking of the quality of
military equipment. The seal 'military approved' isn't worth that much if
you know about the details.

Cheers,

Axel