Old August 31st 04, 05:37 AM
Expmiata

>I have about 78K on a '90 and have never done the timing belt. Shame on me,
>but the car runs great. Can I get another 10K and delay doing it or am I
>flirting with disaster? If I gamble by waiting a while longer am I going to
>ruin the engine if it finally goes on me? Also, has anyone ever gotten over
>80K on a timing belt on a early Miata, like my '90?

I changed mine out at 58,000 simply because I was beginning a very long trip.
Since it was close to 60,000 (recommended to change at that mileage according
to owner's manual) I decided to play it safe. Upon inspection of belt, it was
found to still be in great condition. I now have 100,000 miles and my belt
still looks good with 40,000 miles on it.

But, I would not push my luck, no matter what the warranty is......just MHO