Old December 8th 04, 06:58 AM
Gene Poon

James Goforth wrote:

> What kind of ATF is to be used in a '90 Caravan 3.3 with the automatic
> overdrive (604, I believe) transmission?
> What happens if you put Dexron/Mercon in it (and what is the
> difference between the fluids)?

Chrysler-spec ATF+3 or ATF+4.

Dexron has different friction characteristics. If you use Dexron you
will save a little bit of money, the different friction characteristics
will cause the clutches and lockup converter to get grabbier and get
damaged as the computer tries in vain to compensate for the non-spec
fluid, and you then will pay about a hundred times more money than you
saved by using Dexron in the first place, to get your transmission fixed.

DON'T USE DEXRON in it.

PERIOD.