Old August 8th 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

Default buffered coolant temp guage

In article >,
John Carrier > wrote:
> Truth is that BMW had numerous customer "concerns" because the temp
> gauge would reflect the load on the car and ambient conditions. IOW it
> behaved as a temp gauge should. So they put in the buffered gauge as a
> peace of mind solution for the great mass of the ignorant. Of course
> you'll now get little warning of a cooling problem with a gauge
> climbing inexorably toward the doom level. Instead everything appears
> A OK and then a rapid rise to the peg. You've got about 10 seconds to
> kill the engine and park it.

Sudden overheating problems are usually caused by things like a fan belt
breaking or loss of coolant. And you have warning lights for both of these.
My 'other' car has a normal temperature gauge which when hot reads between
85 and 100C. So that's its normal range. Can't see a problem if a computer
monitors this and keeps the gauge central while within this range.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.