Old December 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Michael Kelly

> Checking end play and have not seen any cracks. Thanks,
> Andy

Andy,

I had a mysterious oil leak in Clayton (70 type 1). I suspected the
oil cooler as the oil mess was from the top of the engine. I pulled the
engine, re-filled the oil, removed the plugs. I have the back plate off
the transmission of a 70 bus, that I use to mount a starter on a pulled
engine. After about a minute of cranking, I found a small leak on the
case near the oil cooler mount. The crack was too small to be seen, but
cranking built up enough pressure to see a drop every five seconds.
Needless to say I have another engine in the bug.... That's thanks to
Dan who gave me a 71 vert in pretty good condition, including two
engines, one seized, the other a "basic engine".

Mike.

70 bug (Clayton) daily driver
71 vert (Dan) soon to be backup daily
70 bus (Luigi) wrecked, parts doner/storehouse.
today, 3/4 of my upright engines are operational.