Old October 30th 04, 05:48 PM
shiden_kai

Al Smith wrote:

> Wait a minute. Maybe there are shortcuts in some cases - and I have
> only done
> it once - but every fuel pump replacement I have heard about
> involves dropping the tank.

Well, I suppose this means that you haven't heard about enough
of them then. Even with dropping fuel tanks, most of them are not
nearly as hard as you might think. You are comparing replacing
an electric fuel pump that is "outside" the fuel tank to replacing
one that is inside the fuel tank. I was thinking more along the lines
of the older mechanical fuel pumps that were attached to the engine.
These were far more common on domestic vehicles then inline
external electric fuel pumps.

Many late model vehicles also have access panels in the trunk that
make changing an electric fuel pump a 15 minute job. Most vehicles
that I work on (GM), you can have the fuel tank out in 10 minutes.

Ian