Old October 15th 04, 11:04 PM
Matt Whiting

Mark wrote:
> A while back I posted looking for recommendations for good brake rotors due
> to my van's warped rotor syndrome. I wound up getting Raybestos PG + rotors
> and the quiet stop plus pads (ceramic) I also replaced the rear shoes and
> cylinders, flushed the system & put a combo kit on the rear axles. The van
> warped the new rotors while using the lightest braking while breaking in
> the rotors and pads. ( and yes, I use a snap on torque wrench religiously )
> The steering wheel now literally wags back and forth when stopping for
> lights. It just gets worse and worse just like all the other rotors I put
> on this thing. I know its the fronts because it stops smooth via parking
> brake. I'm thinking now that the hubs must some how be warped, causing
> rotors to go all the time. ( I should have resolved the brake issue when it
> was new, I already noticed warping on the drive home from the dealer with 24
> miles on the odometer. By the time I made my first complaint, I was over
> the 12k mark & the dealer said I was SOL, so I've lived with this prob for
> 87k now.
>
> Any ideas on what to look for ?

I've not used these type of pads, but does the break-in procedure call
for very light braking during break-in? The break-in procedures I've
read typically call for moderate to heavy braking during initial
break-in to avoid glazing the pads and rotors. Usually, you make a
series of reasonably hard stops with adequate cooling time in between to
avoid warping the rotors.

It is possible to "warp" the rotors without actually warping them. The
theory is that with braking that is too light, you can cause the rotor
to have uneven friction around its circumference and this causes pulsing
that feels like a warped rotor, when in fact the rotor is just fine
dimensionally. I've read that it can sometimes be cured with a series
of fairly heavy stops to break the glaze.

If you feel the braking is already so annoying that you are ready to
replace the rotors again, then you have nothing to lose by trying a few
hard stops to see if it helps.

Matt