Old December 8th 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/8/2004 3:50 AM Bill Spiliotopoulos stood on a soap-box and
preached to the unwashed masses:

> For a stock application, stock rockers and adjusting screws are fine. It is
> normal for the adjusting screws to become faceted.
> Anyway, either with the Berg adjusting screws you would have to check valve
> clearances on every oil change, to motitor exhaust valve stretching. In case
> you decide to install them, keep in mind that you should keep the stock
> valve geometry, and to do this you will have to grind the rocker arms. Do
> not put spacers under the rocker towers.

The advantage to the swivels is that the ends of the adjusting screws do
not get faceted. As I understand it, once the tip is faceted, accurate
valve adjustment is very hard to accomplish. So I'm either replacing
adjusting screws (M10 ones? are they easily available?) or living with
sloppy valve adjustment.

So the Berg setup -- shims under the towers -- is bogus? I know that the
valve geometry must get disturbed by the shims, but this is a 1600DP on
a bus with standard valves and non-ratio rockers, etc. I don't think
that this slight change to the geometry will affect my performance.

Back to my question: where does a squirrel find new or really good
condition stock rockers w/ the stock M8 thread?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

Sevareid's Rule: "The chief cause of problems is solutions."