Old June 3rd 05, 01:40 AM
Joe

RichA > wrote in
:

> [...]
>>>equally as strong this year. Consider the month of April, when
>>>Mustang had a 25.9 percent sales gain, equal to Toyota's gain. Even
>>>more noteworthy is the yearly comparison where Mustang has gained
>>>19.2 percent in contrast to Toyota's 13.6 percent gain.
>>>
>>>Media coverage is just as wretchedly fixated on clamoring over the
>>>success of the Chrysler 300, especially crediting the car with the
>>>lions-share of DaimlerChrysler's 5.4 percent, four-month sales
>>>gain. What they fail to mention is that in the four-month
>>>comparison between this year and last, is that this year, the 300
>>>has had four full months of sales, while last year, it had just
>>>entered the market in March. Therefore, the 300's 35,000-unit gain
>>>over last year does unquestionably add to DC's bottom line sales
>>>tally.
>>>
>>>Contrasting the Chrysler 300, Mustang had a full 12 months of sales
>>>last year, so achieving a comparable sale gain would be phenomenal.
>>>However, to Mustang's credit, it does have a 10,000-unit gain over
>>>last year.
>>>
>>>Regardless, my point is more clearly illustrated by presenting raw
>>>sales data. The Chrysler 300 has four-month sales this year of
>>>49,089; the Mustang stands at a greater, 61,820. April sales were
>>>12,837 for the 300, while Mustang had sales of 19,559 in April.
>>>Based upon all the hoopla surrounding the 300's success, I had been
>>>under the impression that it was the market's only triumphant sales
>>>story. But if the 300 is defined as a success, then the Mustang
>>>must be a grand slam home run.
>>>
>>>At this point it may be worth considering how Mustang fits within
>>>the context of total U.S. car sales. If the newly redesigned
>>>Mustang is a success as I've implied, then it should be
>>>illustratable not only in unit sales, but it should also have
>>>achieved a larger percentage of overall market sales. Since the new
>>>model was only on the market for a couple of months at the end of
>>>2004, any measurement of success will only be notable in 2005 sales
>>>data.
>>>
>>>It is clearly revealed in the table below that the all-new Mustang
>>>is enjoying phenomenal success in the marketplace this year.
>>>Mustang has achieved 2.4% of the U.S. car market in the first four
>>>months of 2005, far better than any of the previous 15 years, as is
>>>confirmed in the following tabulation.
>>>
>>>While the Chrysler 300 may be the media darling when it comes to
>>>sales reporting, Mustang madness continues to roar through the
>>>streets of America.
>>>

>>I'm sorry, but I don't get the point. Your comparing two different
>>cars aimed at two different audiences. While there maybe some
>>crossover I doubt that anyone who was looking for a Four-Door sedan
>>was considering a two coupe or vice versa. Different cars,
>>different market segments.

> The Mustang sales are impressive, simply because of the lack of
> overall support for coupes today. Chrysler is nuts though.

Nuts enough to post a sales increase, where Ford and GM are going home
with their tails between their legs. Not to mention their "junk"
status.

> If they took the new 300 engine, put it in a 2 door with 500lbs
> less weight, they have a REAL Charger instead of the JOKE they are
> putting out. They might as well call it the 300 Magnum.

The joke's on you, Rich. You're the one with the 4-door hangup.
425hp and 420lb-ft torque is major stuff regardless of how many doors
are hanging off the car.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC