Old May 25th 05, 07:01 AM
bfd

Paul Aspinall wrote:
> "bfd" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I think the engine/gearbox on your car are going to be the *least* of
> > your worries. You bought the first year of the E65/66 body style. Can
> > you spell - p-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e?
> >

> I think so.
>
> > Electronics will be more of a concern. Of course, you could be lucky,
> > but most first year owners complained about the electronics.

> I've had a few electronics problems already. Had things reset twice in 18
> months.
>

> > As for whether a car should "last at least 200,000 miles", well that
> > all depends on your driving style and the conditions you drive in. Why
> > should BMW or any other mfr, warranty or guarantee your car? Who is to
> > say you don't "abuse" your car, e.g., shift each and every gear at 7000
> > rpm? Alternatively, if someone did "abuse" their car, should BMW
> > "guarantee" it?

> The car is automatic, so its impossible to over-rev it. Also, the E65/E66
> has Condition Based Servicing (CBS), which monitors how you drive, and
> adjusts accordingly.
> My cars are always fully serviced by BMW, when required.
>

> > Further, ask yourself how do you maintain your car? How often do you
> > change your brake fluid? coolant? transmission or differential oil? (Oh
> > yeah, you're suppose to a a "lifetime" tranny fluid -hahahahah) What
> > about things like water pump or radiator (you know its plastic right?)

> All my cars are fully BMW serviced in accordance with requirements.

Therein lies part of your problem. The fact that you spent $78K on your
car is, well alot of money. However, servicing "in accordance with
requirements" will result in trouble down the road, especially if you
expect your car to last 200,000 miles.

For example, your car supposedly comes with "lifetime" transmission and
differential fluids. Yet, its common knowledge that the "lifetime"
fluids are exactly the same as those used when BMW recommended changes
every 30,000 miles. Do you really think your transmission and
differential fluid will last 200,000 miles, without changing? I
wouldn't. The fact is BMW doesn't care. As stated, they are in the
business of selling cars.

Basicially, if you can afford, to spend the big bucks on a 2002 7
Series, why are you so concern about the car lasting 200,000 miles? You
obvious can afford to replace your car more frequently than most, so I
say do it!

Otherwise, despite BMW claim of "lifetime" fluids, I think its crap and
would
follow the old service schedule:

- Coolant - every 2 years (with only BMW coolant/Zerex G-48)
- Brake fluid - flush every 2 years; unless you track your car, then
every year
- Transmission and Differential - every 30,000 miles (use synthetic
like
Redline)
- Engine oil - since all new BMWs now come with synthetic, I would look

to change engine oil and filter every 7K+ miles depending on driving
conditions.

Add in replace your radiator/waterpump/thermostat every 60,000-80,000
miles too
Further, with BMW V8s, you need to keep an eye on:
- valve cover gaskets replaced between 75,000-90,000 mile mark;
- intake manifold gaskets need replacing at about 100,000 miles
and I think you need to keep an eye out on the power steering pump
lines too.

All in all, keep it maintained religiously and it just might last to
200K. Now about those electrical gremlins.....