Old October 13th 04, 12:21 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Ron McNeil wrote:

> > And they're all red. No amber turn blinker. Suddenly it's 1991...

> One thing I would love to change on my Dak is my non-amber turn
> signals....

The marketeer idiots continue to claim "Americans prefer red turn
signals".

Pick your badness! Do you want the "brake, tail and turn signal functions
all lumped into one lamp, which can give only one signal at a time, and if
it fails, you lose all functions on that side" badness? Or do you want the
"Brake lamp and turn signal are two separate lamps, but they're right next
to each other, and both red, so the drivers behind you have to figure out
just what-all your vehicle's assortment of
bright/dim/on/off/steady/flashing red lights is trying to convey...once
they get close enough to see that there are in fact _two_ "duelling" reds
right next to each other" badness?

It's so hard to choose...I just can't pick which kind of badness I prefer.
I'd say "Just put on a separate amber blinker like the whole rest of the
world has required since 1963", but that wouldn't work because "Americans
prefer red turn signals".

Must be why Chevrolet and GMC didn't sell any of their trucks and
Suburbans between '00 and '03 -- they had amber rear blinkers.