Old July 18th 05, 05:02 PM
finding z0

Default Bad morning for cars in my life.. long

Got in the 2001 Prelude this morning (40K miles). Started it and hit AC
button about the same time and the bugger stalled and all the lights
came on. Cranked but wouldn't start. Sounded a bit weak as well. Did
the 'if you had a carb & flooded it routine' i.e., floored it and
cranked. It limped alive but weakly. Let it build up some rpm's then
hit the AC button (80deg & 91% humidity at 8AM). No joy. The AC was
dead. The night before I went to pick my daughter up at the mall. The
mall lot was flooded from downpours (police, emergency, fire, camera
crews, etc.). Some cars had water up to their windows. I skirted the
flood (did hit some shallow water at speed that splashed a bit (noted a
strange ping)and drove on. Took her home w/o incident.
I decided to leave the the Prelude in the garage and got in the '91
Integra (AC repaired last month). Drove a few blocks and the oil light
came on. This car has 140K miles and never burned a drop of oil.
Called my 18yr old daughter and asked her if she noticed a light on her
r/t to Chicago 2 weeks ago (388 mi). She said no, nor on the brief
errand she ran the day before. Stopped at Jiffy lube and they added
2-2.5 qts (they had changed the oil 1000 mi earlier). There was a bit
of oil around the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. I drove it to
work. I'll follow the oil on this one just to make sure they hadn't
underfilled it the first time. What's this gasket work gonna cost me at
a dealer?
Cheers.
p.s life is good on other days.