Old May 28th 05, 08:48 PM
Kevin Holzer

Richard Couch wrote:
> I bought a '66 Beetle with its original 6V electrical system, but modified
> with a 1600cc engine equipped with a Solex 30 PICT-1 carb. I'd like to have
> a spare carb so that I can drive the car while rebuilding the
> original--especially since I've not rebuilt a carb before and I don't want
> to be stuck with a car that I can't drive if I screw up the only carburetor
> I have.
>
> Could someone out there tell me where I can find a (preferably) new or
> rebuilt spare?
>
> Richard Couch
> Iowa City, IA

Try junkyards in your area, or the samba (thesamba.com). Aircooled.net
has them as well, as do a bunch of other places online. Does the
original work pretty decently? If so, get one from a junkyard, rebuild
that one, and then try using it. Then you have your known good one to
fall back on if you mess things up. Let things soak for days and days
(like three or so) in the vat of carb cleaner. Some people on here talk
about sonic cleaning, but I don't know much about nor have any
experience with that. The first carb I rebuilt was a 30 PICT-1 (not to
mention the only carb I've rebuilt...so maybe I shouldn't be the one
giving advice). Take what I have to say with a grain of salt, cause I'm
in the lower 2/3 of the bell shaped curve.
Best of luck!
-Kevin